- Chasing the Crazies: Highlighting how to write successful queries.
- Fiction University – Taking Your Writing to the Next Level: Janice Hardy provides writing advice broken down into different categories such as plot, character, pacing, revisions, querying, etc.
- Helping Writers Become Authors: K. M. Weiland has a fantastic thirteen part series on story structure, using the Marvel films as examples.
- Magical Words: A blog by writers for writers. A group of award-winning, nationally known authors offer advice on writing speculative fiction, the publishing industry, and the fears and doubts that plague the profession.
- Pub(lishing) Crawl
- Terrible Minds: Chuck Wendig’s blog.
- Writers in the Storm
- How to Write Magical Words: A Writer’s Companion (Editor: Edmund R. Schubert): A distillation of blog posts from the Magical Words authors, written as a dialogue. This book is an invaluable resource for the new writer filled with practical advice.
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft (Stephen King): Stephen King shares his biography and insights on writing. Don’t wait. Read it.
- Writer’s Guide to Everyday Life Series (Publisher: Writer’s Digest Books): Looking for historical information on a particular time period? Not sure what to trust on the Internet? Check out this series for consolidated information about a particular time period (slang, clothing, mannerisms), complete with references for further research.
- Ditch Diggers: In a day job, you have to get up and go to work whether you like it or not. Ditch diggers don’t wait to be inspired to dig a ditch, they do it because it’s their job and they won’t eat if they don’t. (NSFW)
- I Should Be Writing: A show about a writer going from wanna-be to pro. Interviews and support geared toward all of the stuff that seems to get in the way of our writing.
- Writing Excuses: Brandon Sanderson, Mary Robinette Kowal, Howard Taylor, and Dan Wells talk about writing. 15 Minutes long, because you’re in a hurry, and they’re not that smart.
- Writing Rants (NSFW): John Hartness, author of The Black Knight Chronicles and one of the founders of Falstaff Books, provides practical advice to the new writer on writing and publishing.
- Absolute Write
- Query Shark: if you’re querying, read it – all of it. You’ll be glad you did.